Horton's Happenings

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Year In The Making










Well, I finally accomplished something I had been working towards for an entire year.  I wanted to run a 1/2 marathon and I wanted my first 1/2 to be the Soldier Marathon & 1/2 Marathon.  This race is absolutely amazing and I pray I can participate in it again next year.  It starts out on Post at Ft. Benning in Columbus, GA. and then trails through the Post and onto the Riverwalk.  You finish on Post running through the flags and a memorial of our fallen soldiers.  At the finish line you are greeted by tons of soldiers and the Major General.  The soldiers award you with a medal and a coin (Army tradition).  It was the best feeling ever!!!  I was truly inspired because I got to run in honor of a fallen soldier by the name of Paul Pabla.  He was a friend to my brother in law, David May, and by Dave's description he was a great guy.  Every mile was truly an inspiration as I was cheered on and high fived by they men and women that serve our country.  After mile 1, there is a pretty good hill...guess who was there for encouragement...Drill Sergeants!  Yes, they were yelling "nice" words of encouragement!  I was loving every minute of this!!!  I am not a fast runner by any means but I LOVE running a long way.  Since I have finished my first 1/2, and know that I am capable, I would like to start working on my speed.  My husband, Britt, is truly an amazing runner!  He did absolutely amazing!!!  I asked him awhile back if he would try to qualify for Boston, which meant running 26.2 in 3:15 or less.  Well, he did it with no problem....his time was 3:09.  He was on target for a time of 2:50 but at mile 18 began having a nerve problem....nothing a chiropractor visit can't fix!:)  He is running the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville, AL, in just a few weeks.  I want to be like him when I grow up...LOL!!!  Our sweet daughter, Faith, took several pics of us that day. I hope you enjoy them!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, girl!! So proud of you! And Faith's pics are awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Lora! I think I will give Faith the photography job from now on. I am usually not in any of our pictures because I am always taking them. This was such a special day for me and I really wanted it captured on photo. So, I thought to myself, "why not?? Give the kiddo a job while she is standing there." LOL! She did quite well!! Hey if Ft. Campbell does any special runs let us know...um...road trip!!!! :) Miss you guys like super crazy!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete